Thursday, October 22, 2015

Things to Do And To See

Conakry


The capital, Conakry, is located on the island of Tumbo and is connected to the Kaloum Peninsula by a 300m (984ft) pier. The city is noted for its botanical gardens. The Cathedral, built in the 1930s and located in the town centre, is well worth viewing. There is also a National Museum (Musée National), with a collection of masks, statues and musical instruments. The Palais du Peuple is a large, Chinese-built auditorium that is home to two national ballet troupes. Plenty of restaurants line the main north-south street, the Autoroute (Route du Niger).

Kakimbon Caves

The Kakimbon Caves in the village of Ratoma, now a suburb of Conakry, are the source of many interesting legends and are bestowed with great religious significance by the local Baga people. 

The Îles de Los, off the Kaloum Peninsula some 10km (6 miles) southwest of Conakry, are recommended as a tourist destination and are easily accessible from Conakry. Good beaches can also be found at the Île de Roume and Île de Kassa, the latter being accessible via a public boat service.
THE ILES DE LOS









Iles de Kassa








Le Voile de la Mariée

Approximately 150km (93 miles) outside Conakry is the picturesque Le Voile de la Mariée, nestled at the bottom of a 70m- (230ft-) high rock from which the River Sabende plunges, amidst lush vegetation, into a deep pond. In Pita, located between Dalaba and Labé, the Kinkon Falls can be found which produce 150m (492ft) of cascading water.








 I remember as a child going there with my family. When you actually stand under the cascading water, there is a funny sensation I will never forget . 




4 comments:

  1. Guinea is so beautiful and interesting. This is the side of African countries they never show on TV.I I have already a lot of guinean friends, you included, so now I must visit your country once in my life (when I will have the money for that of course!��)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part about the country...the part they don't show on tv.
    Guinea is beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Guinea is beautiful! I have to visit one day... especially those Falls! It's like a tropical paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there's so much that I didn't know about Guinea. Exploring your blog has exposed me to a lot. I'd definitely would visit so that I can be able to see the beautiful kakimbon caves, kassa island and le voile e la marieè and so much more. This blog is very insightful and well put together. You've managed to change my perspective on Guinea by revealing the hidden beauty that's lies within. Awesome, can't wait to plan my visit !

    ReplyDelete